Bathurst Watershed History
Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission was established in 1988 on motion of Bathurst City
Council and incorporated in 1989. Long term goals include;
- recognition of the need to preserve our local history and historic buildings;
- strategy to raise public awareness; and
- establish and maintain a system of historical research pertaining to the
Bathurst Watershed area.
The Micmacs were the first known group of people to settle in area once called
Winkapiguwick. In the 1600's, the Governor of Acadia established the fishing settlement
known as Nepisiguit. This settlement finally became Bathurst in 1826 after the Earl of
Bathurst, who was then Colonial Secretary.
Village Bridge early 1900s
Drawing of the village of Bathurst @1850
Tetagouche Falls, sans dam
Development of this area has been dependent on its natural resources and its enterprising
and hard working population. During the 1800's, the Bathurst Watershed depended on ship
building. When the era of wooden ships ended, the area began depending on lumber and pulp
mills. Since the mid-1950s, extensive mining operations have also played a large part in
our growth and developent.
In terms of cultural awareness, our Watershed has changed over the centuries. The city has
a good combination of French, English, Irish and Scots, to mention only a few of the major
nationalities. Overall, the Nepisiguit Watershed is rich in cultural and historic features.
For More Information:Bathurst Heritage Trust Commission
1750 Rough Waters Drive
Bathurst, NB Canada E2A 1Z8